fbpx
Tailored Pet Services Logo Black

GIVE US A CALL

425-923-7791

SEND AN EMAIL

scheduling@tailoredpetservices.com

WALK OPENINGS

Mushrooms: Steps If Pet Ate Poisonous One

A pleasant trip outside can quickly turn disastrous if your pet cat or dog consumes wild mushrooms. Chances are that wild mushroom features toxic properties that will be harmful to your pet. Upon consumption, your pet may soon start to exhibit some very concerning symptoms.

So, what should you do if your pet ate a wild mushroom? Follow the steps detailed below to give your precious animal companion the best chance of surviving that ordeal.

Attempt to Extract if You Can Safely Do So

You may have caught your pet taking a bite of the wild mushroom out of the corner of your eye. If you see it that early, you may still be able to stop your pet from consuming that toxic fungus.

Opening your pet’s mouth to remove the mushroom is an option if you’ve managed to do that in the past. Otherwise, keep your hand out of their mouth because they could bite it to protect their food.

Alternatively, you can offer your pet a treat and see if they will drop the mushroom in favor of it.

Preserve the Wild Mushroom

Next, you must preserve the wild mushroom so the veterinarian can examine it and decide on a proper course of treatment. According to the American Kennel Club, wrapping the remnants of the mushroom in a damp towel before placing it in a bag would be ideal.

Head to the Veterinarian

Don’t assume that you’ve avoided danger even if you managed to extract the mushroom from your pet’s mouth. They may have still consumed enough of it to suffer from its ill effects. Go to the veterinarian as soon as you can so you can ascertain the true condition of your cat or dog.

You should also consult with a veterinarian if you’ve noticed the symptoms of mushroom poisoning (see last week’s article) in your pet. Pay a visit to the veterinarian even if you cannot confirm that your pet ate a wild mushroom because waiting too long could be risky.

Panicking will not help your pet cat or dog survive their tussle with some wild mushrooms. Instead, you must stay calm and follow the steps detailed above to help your pet out of that situation.

Allow us at TAILored Pet Services to watch over your other pets as you bring your sick cat or dog to the veterinarian after eating mushrooms. We can also stay with your pets when you go on vacation. Call 425-923-7791 or contact through our website if you wish to try our services.

Previous

Next

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published.