Although many people take precautions to avoid heat stroke in hot weather, they forget that pets are actually more susceptible to heatstroke than humans. Animals do not sweat like humans do, and so their bodies do not handle hot weather as efficiently as ours. Older dogs or those suffering from obesity, breathing problems, or other conditions can get heatstroke very easily on a hot day. According to the Humane Society of the United States HSUS, serious medical problems or even death can occur if their body temperature gets too high.
Five tips for protecting your dog against heat stroke
- Keep them in the shade. It’s important to keep them cool by staying inside in the air-conditioning on hot days, and keeping them in the shade whenever they do go outside especially if the dog is older or has medical problems.
- Give them plenty of water. Hydration is essential, so make sure the water bowl is filled all the time with clean, fresh water.
- Don’t overdo the exercise. If the temperature is sweltering, there’s no need to take your dog along for a jog. Vigorous exercise on a hot day will increase a dog’s body temperature to dangerous levels.
- Don’t leave your dog in a parked car. The temperature on the inside of a car without its air conditioning running will increase very quickly on a hot day. Even if you think you’re not going to be long, don’t leave your dog inside a parked car when the weather is hot.
- Wet your dog down. Water will cool off your dog, just like it cools you off, so it’s not a bad idea to wet your dog down or even let it take a swim on a summer day, just to stay cool.
As temperatures continue to soar this summer, keep these tips in mind to help keep your dog cool. Also, don’t automatically assume that your dog will stop running around or seek shade when he’s overheating. Your dog is depending on you to keep him safe this summer.
When you hire TAILored Pet Services, our dog walkers keep a close eye on Spot’s temperature throughout his potty break/dog walk and adjust activity accordingly. Depending on Spot’s needs, we have a monthly package to suit him so contact us for more information.